Florida Bible Institute
I. "The Temple of the Holy Spirit"
1. In John 14:16-18 Jesus was assuring His disciples that He would not leave them confortless, that the Father
would send the Spirit of Truth (the Holy Spirit) who would indwell them and - remain with them.
2. In John 14:17 Jesus was assuring His disciples that the Holy Spirit would be with them - and - in them.
3 The Angel Gabriel told the father of John the Baptist, that John the Baptist would be "filled" (ple-theo) with
the Holy Spirit at birth.
4. John the Baptist was born and ministered before Christ died on the cross at Calvary. The point is, that John
the Baptist was "filled with the Holy Spirit" before the Holy Spirit was given at Pentecost.
5. Most Greek scholars are in agreement that the word "receive" in John 20:22 is in the aorist imperative tense,
therefore, having no future meaning. Accordingly, those upon whom Christ "breathed" and said "receive ye
the Holy Ghost", received the Holy Ghost at that time.
6. Acts 2:4 teaches us that on the Day of Pentecost, the Holy Spirit came to "indwell believers", and that He
indwelt those who had not previously received Him on the day of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ
upon whom Christ had "breathed" and said, "receive ye the Holy Ghost! And, He anointed those who had
previously received Him, as well as those who were for the first time receiving Him, and, in so doing,
"anointed" them for ministry.
7. Again, that those who had previously "received the Holy Ghost" received "anointing" for ministry on the
day of Pentecost along with those who had just received the Holy Ghost!
8. I Corinthians 6:19 teaches us that the body of the Believer is the Temple of the Holy Spirit. He indwells the
Believer. Our bodies do not belong to us, but to Him who indwells us!
9. In Galatians 2:20, Paul is reassuring Believers that the "old man", i.e., the old "sin nature" is dead, co-crucified
with Christ Jesus and the life that Paul lived (as well as all Believers) he lived by the indwelling power of the
Holy Spirit as a result of the death, burial and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ.
10. In I Peter 2:5 we are told that:
(1) Each individual Believer is a significant and individual part of the Body of Christ!
(2) That we as Believers are corporately a Holy Priesthood entitled to offer up "spiritual sacrifices" to God
by virtue of our relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ.
11. Colossians 1:27-29 reveals that our only hope for eternal life in glory with the Lord Jesus Christ is through
the "New Birth".
This truth had previously been hidden and was therefore a "mystery".
Paul the Apostle worked mightily, laboring to convince men that their only hope for eternity lay in their willingness
to receive Jesus Christ as both Lord and Savior through the "New Birth", i.e., being "Born Again".
II. Following are the correct answers for this section.
1. The Holy Spirit is referred to in scripture as Comforter, Holy One of Israel, Spirit of Truth and Holy Ghost.
2. Scripture makes it clear that when one is "born again", the Holy Spirit indwells them, will guide them and as
such is available to them.
3. John the Baptist was filled with the Holy Spirit from his mother's womb - at birth.
4. Paul declared that he did the work that he did as a result of Christ in him.
5. Based on the scriptures studied in this lesson, I am indwelt by the Holy Spirit if I have been Born Again.
6. Philippians 4:13 reveals that the Believer can successfully defeat Satan in every area of their life, that the
Believer can accomplish all that God calls them to accomplish in and through Jesus Christ and the power of the
indwelling Holy Spirit.